Sports and Spine Orthopaedics
23456 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite #200, Torrance
2361 Rosecrans Ave., Suite #165, El Segundo
310-875-8700 | 310-775-2331
- L to R
Josh Schoenberger, PA, Dr. Jennifer Hsu, Dr. Peter Borden, Dr. Andrew Wassef, Dr. Allyson Estess, Dr. Remi Ajiboye
- Special Section
- Physical therapy
- Diagnostic imaging
- Pain management
- Surgery center
- Bracing & casting
- Open MRI
“Our expertise covers a wide spectrum of injuries in patients of all ages.”
Sports and Spine Orthopaedic group is a multispecialty, full-service practice with two offices in the South Bay. Our practice includes state-of-the-art equipment including digital X-ray, diagnostic ultrasound, open MRI, physical therapy, a surgical center, electrodiagnostic neurology studies, ART chiropractic specialists and acupuncture.
Our group is comprised of five main partners who each have completed residencies in general orthopedics and trauma as well as an extra year of fellowship training with a specific subspecialty in orthopedic surgery. We also have part-time specialists in pain management and nerve injuries.
- Peter S. Borden, MD, a specialist of the shoulder, knee and ankle, is a second-generation orthopedic surgeon. He grew up in Palos Verdes and played college basketball and water polo. Dr. Borden acts as a consultant in the development of surgical implants and teaches surgeons the latest techniques. He enjoys working out, golfing, fly-fishing and skiing.
- Allyson Estess, MD, a shoulder, knee and hip specialist, grew up in Irvine. After playing four years of college soccer, she played for the Women’s National Team and is now their team doctor. She enjoys running, skiing and spending time with her kids.
- Remi M. Ajiboye, MD, is a spine specialist originally from Nigeria. He has advanced training in minimally invasive spine surgery and spinal reconstruction and served as a clinical instructor at Stanford University. He has his hands full balancing his orthopedic practice and helping his wife with their young children.
- Andrew J. Wassef, MD, a hip and knee replacement specialist, grew up in Long Beach and followed in his father’s footsteps to a career in orthopedics. He travels the U.S. teaching other doctors how to perform robotic total joint replacements. He enjoys spending time with his family.
- Jennifer W. Hsu, MD, a hand and wrist specialist, works full-time as Chief of Microvascular Upper Extremity and Hand Surgery at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center as well as being our partner at Sports and Spine Orthopaedics. She excels at rock climbing and being a great mom.
Areas Of Specialty
The orthopedic surgeons of Sports and Spine Orthopaedics are all well trained from the top programs throughout the country. Our expertise covers a wide spectrum of injuries in patients of all ages, including fractures, sports medicine injuries, spine injuries, osteoarthritis issues, and hand and wrist injuries. We focus on nonoperative treatment of all musculoskeletal problems and strive to get patients better without the need for surgery.
When surgery is required to resolve the problem, our surgeons specialize in minimally invasive procedures that result in less pain and less tissue damage—resulting in easier and faster recoveries. A majority of the more complex surgical procedures are performed on an outpatient basis.
Outpatient Surgical Procedures
Our Torrance location offers a beautiful, private surgery center exclusively for our doctors to perform various types of surgical procedures including arthroscopy (shoulder, knee, hip, ankle), fracture fixation, total knee and shoulder replacements, minimally invasive spine procedures, tendon and ligament reconstructions, endoscopic and arthroscopic hand and wrist procedures, and pain management. Our anesthesia department specializes in performing nerve block procedures that allow patients to return home shortly after the surgery without pain—even for bigger operations such as total knee and shoulder replacements.