We’re nuts about these almond-based holiday drinks
Add a roaring fire and we’re sold.
- CategoryEat & Drink
- Produced & Styled byKara Mickelson
- Photographed byShane O’Donnell
Frothy, foamy cacao goodness with a tart lime twist is like riding a winter wave in Candy Land.
- 1–2 ounces gin
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh crème de cacao
- 1 tablespoon whole whipping cream
- 1 large pasteurized egg white
- 1 juiced fresh lime (about 2 tablespoons or ½ ounce)
- 1 juiced small tangerine or clementine
- 3 tablespoons Almond Syrup (see recipe below)
- 1½ cups ice cubes
- 3–4 drops orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons club soda
- 1 lime twist for garnish
Mix gin, crème de cacao, whipping cream, egg white, juices and Almond Syrup in a shaker. Adjust flavor as desired by adding more gin or crème de cacao. Shake for several minutes. Add ice and continue shaking for several minutes. Strain into a tall glass. Fill the glass to about ¼-inch from the rim. Add orange blossom water to the top of the foam. Pour club soda down the center of the drink until the foam raises above the glass. Top with garnish. Serve with a straw or bar spoon.
- 1 (7-ounce) package almond paste (not marzipan)
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Break up almond paste into small chunks. Add to saucepan with water. Slowly bring to a simmer and cook until almond paste is completely dissolved; stir constantly to avoid browning. Stir in the sugar and almond extract. Strain out any undissolved almond meal. Reserve under refrigeration until ready to use. Can be made 3 days ahead.
Reindeer Glogg with Almond Snow Granita
Close your eyes, breathe in the warm, spiced, boozy Glogg aroma and imagine a light, almond-scented snow descending upon you from above.
- 3 whole cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 750ml bottle port wine
- 1 750ml bottle proof bourbon whiskey
- 1 750ml bottle white rum
- 1 cup crème de cacao
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3-inch orange peel rind, pith removed
- 2 cups dark raisins
- 3–4 small clementines or oranges, sliced and deseeded
- ¾ cup raw unpeeled almonds
Place small spices into a tea ball (or tightly wrap in cheesecloth) and secure in saucepot. Add cinnamon sticks, wine, whiskey, rum, crème de cacao and sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add orange peel, fruit and nuts. Cool until room temperature and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Remove spices. Just before serving, reheat Glogg. Add fresh orange slices and scoop some fruit and nuts into each mug. Enjoy with a side of Almond Snow Granita.
(see previous page)
Almond Snow Granita
- Almond Syrup recipe (doubled)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, dissolved in syrup
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Make the Almond Syrup and add additional sugar and half and half. Remove from heat and add additional almond extract. Cool mixture; place in a shallow, covered, freezer-safe dish. Freeze overnight or until solid. Scrape a fork across the top of the mixture until it looks like icy flakes. Can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the freezer.
Just before use, scrape again to produce fresh ice flakes. Serve immediately alongside the Reindeer Glogg or spoon into each mug before serving.
Almond Coconut Latte
A favorite candy treat gets a warming winter makeover with the perfect blend of almond, coconut and espresso. Skip dessert and indulge in this holiday brew instead.
Flavored Espresso Base
- 2 shots espresso
- 1 ounce Almond Syrup (see recipe on previous pages)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- melted chocolate
- 1–2 ounces amaretto liqueur
- Chocolate Drizzle (see recipe below)
- Coconut Almond Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
- Coconut Latte Foam (see recipe below)
- Optional garnish: ground cinnamon, chopped almonds, 1 cinnamon stick
Prepare Chocolate Drizzle. Smooth onto a small plate and dip rim of glass into chocolate. Mix fresh hot espresso with almond syrup, ground cinnamon, amaretto liqueur and some of the Chocolate Drizzle (optional). Adjust flavor as desired. Pour into mug. Pour Coconut Latte Foam over espresso mix. Top with billowy whipped Coconut Almond Whipped Cream and toppings as desired.
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (60% cocoa or non-dairy chips)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Melt chocolate chips at 30-second intervals in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish. Be careful not to overcook; chips will continue to melt after removal from the microwave. Stir and heat until creamy. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Coconut Almond Whipped Cream
- 8–10 ounces sweetened coconut whipping cream*
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, or more to taste
Chill mixer bowl and whisk. Add chilled sweetened coconut whipping cream and beat until the mixture begins to thicken. Add sugar and almond extract. Whip until firm peaks form. Keep chilled until ready to use. Can be made 1 day ahead.
*Canned sweetened coconut whipping cream can be found at specialty markets or online. Nature’s Charm brand comes pre- sweetened in 15-ounce blue cans. Adjust sweetness as needed if you choose a brand without sugar. Chill product overnight before whipping.
Coconut Latte Foam
Heat 4 ounces un-whipped sweetened coconut cream on stovetop or in the microwave. Use a hand “frother” to foam.
A local writer remembers the SS Dominator and its fateful encounter with the shores of Palos Verdes.
Established 30 years ago, the Department of Radiation Oncology at Torrance Memorial Medical Center is staffed with board-certified medical specialists who are experts at eliminating or halting the progress of cancer.